Saturday, July 29, 2006

Sleeping beauty?


July 29, 2006 Saturday morning 7:15am
I woke up to rain. Finally! The sky has been so heavy, putrid, HOT. It finally cracked open. All the green (and brown) outside are singing. Reaching for the clouds. I went out with some string and twine and tied up the tomato plants. Found some old scissors and cut off some of the crunchy brown. The Basil unsalvageable. My poor yard! Usually I spend much more time with my hands in the earth. Although looking at the backyard on any given day, you might not be able to tell. I love digging and planting and eating what I’ve grown. There’s so much satisfaction in that. I have been so tired the past few months with the heat and humidity making things close to unbearable. Last night I fell asleep at 7pm. On Friday. My poor husband. But I needed it. I woke up at 6:15 this morning ready to greet the day! So it’s 7:20 and I feel my old self, already productive somewhat, in the yard. I’m wearing on of Keith’s old black A shirts, covered in paint stains. Damp from the mist and rain. My feet are still covered with old grass clippings. I really shouldn’t be tromping about the house this way. But I think I’ll make myself a good breakfast and set to cleaning up this place while I still feel so good. You never know when you suddenly will feel struck and need to lie down.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Yes, refreshing!