Monday, November 01, 2010

Remembering to Breathe

11/1/10: I haven’t been getting very good quality sleep- and not much of it- so I may be a little more short tempered than normal. Today Miles wasn’t listening to me (probably from his own lack of sleep due to Halloween festivities) and I raised my voice and acted frustrated with him. He responded by saying, “Why are you so mad today? You need to take a deep breath like this…” he breathes deep. “Like the “Angry Octopus.””

I stopped and looked at him and said you’re right, and took a deep breath. He seemed so proud of himself. I told him I was sorry for being short tempered but that I wasn’t sleeping well (being 38 weeks pregnant and all). I also told him he could help me by listening the first time I asked him to do something. So we made a deal.

I was so proud of him for reminding me to breathe. I can't believe that came from a 3 year old. I’m so glad the “Angry Octopus” story has helped him recognize and deal with anger in such a positive way too. Although, I like to think I have something to do with his thoughtful attitude. It was seriously a day changer for me.

No comments: