Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Gardening and bread making


9/30/08: We are having a great day so far today- so much so that I felt compelled to sit down and make a note of it.

I tore out my tomato plants this morning before the sun peeked out over the roof of our house. I was able to shove most of them in the composter. After tearing out the tomato plants I found my forgotten bell pepper plant, which is finally beginning to produce. I’m hoping it will thrive now without having to compete for sun and water and we’ll have a late bell pepper harvest. For our winter garden we are going to plant beans, spinach and onions. I bought organic seeds from Henry’s yesterday. I’m going to start them in a biodegradable egg carton so I wont have to transplant them. I kinda feel like I need another raised bed, but where would I put it? Ah well, one season at a time. Miles helped mix the worm castings and bloodmeal into the soil and got good and filthy. I had to squirt him down with the hose. Despite the chilly morning air, he loved it and we ran around the yard screeching and laughing.

Then we went inside and began the bread making. I have a recipe for Tassajara Yeasted Bread from last months Yoga Journal Magazine. Miles stood on his kitchen stool and helped spoon flour into the measuring cups and would sprinkle the flour in the bowl as I stirred. He slept through the initial kneading but when he wakes it’ll be time to knead and separate and get ready to bake. I’m bringing this bread along with a carrot butternut squash soup over to a friend’s house for an early supper. I hope it all turns out since I’ve never made either before!

I’m still crocheting my “Punk Bunny” for Miles, It’s a pretty slow going thing. I think he’ll love it when it’s done though. And I managed to get a painting finished for my friends birthday. So all in all things are good on the creative front.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must plant seeds soon! I keep meaning to buy them, and keep forgetting. Argh.

And love the "breastaraunt", lol---we're still open for business here, too. But only for 12 months and 9 days so far. ;)