Sunday, November 08, 2009

Lake Cuyamaca and Other Adventures

11/8/09: I started reading The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (http://www.theinventionofhugocabret.com) to Miles tonight. I was thinking we could do a chapter a night- if he was up to it. I wasn’t sure if he was way too young to sit through a chapter book. Well, he’s not! In fact, after the first chapter he wanted another, so we read 2 chapters and plan on the 3rd tomorrow. I’m so excited to be able to read a real book to him- something interesting and beautiful. When we get to large words like, “illumination” and “agitated” we briefly discuss them- or I give him examples of the meaning. Anyway, it was nice, and an added benefit, it seemed to make him really sleepy. Some of the books we usually read seem to actually wind him up, so this was a nice transition.



We had a busy weekend. We went to Lake Cuyamaca and rented a boat, paddled to the little island, and went on an easy hike. So beautiful. When we returned to the “mainland” Miles fed the ducks right out of his hand. He was thrilled. Then we made our way to Julian and walked for a while and had pie.

Today we went to Legoland for the first time. There are a lot of things to do for the little ones. Most of the rides had height requirements but there was so much else to do, like playgrounds, musical water fountains, trains, water games, etc…It was more fun than I had imagined it to be. I’m glad we finally went. Tomorrow we’ll be headed to the zoo again to catch up with a friend. I love the zoo walk. I’m trying to squeeze in as much walking as I can since that seems to be my only form of exercise right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kyle has been asking to go to Legoland "today" quite a bit. Too bad our passes expired : ( Santa decided the zoo was the best stocking stuffer pass to get this year! Hope we can wander around there together.