Monday, April 13, 2009

Springtime Fava Bean Harvest



4/12/09: Sometimes when you are up against something so huge and immovable as a toddler with his mind set, it’s best to go with the flow. Miles has trouble adjusting every Monday. I’m not sure if he senses it’s back to the grind- since Dad goes to work, or what. But I have a bear of a time getting him dressed and out the door. Since I know it’ll be a zoo at the gym today and I anticipate him having trouble at the YMCA childwatch, I decided to let him have his way. He wanted to stay home and stay naked.

As soon as the thermometer hit 60 degrees we were outside in the yard. What better day to harvest some of those fava beans from our raised garden box? We got a basket, close at hand from Easter, and headed out there to find the biggest fava beans. Miles held the basket to his chest and I filled it up. We had a small first harvest, but a good one. Then we headed to the hammock swing to shuck the pods. I felt a little like Miles should be calling me “Meemaw” and I should be wearing an apron and drinking sweet tea while swatting at flies with a swatter. But instead, we listened to the fountain bubbling up, competing with the traffic noise from the overpass and quietly broke open each fat pod. Plump and furry, a little rough and about as long as my hand, the pods popped open and with a little squeeze, the beans sprung out. Miles really got into it. Furrowed brow, lips puckered out, little fingers prying and digging into the pods cushiony insides, searching for the hidden bean.

Once all the beans were out, we dumped the pods into the compost bin and headed into the kitchen to rinse and sort. Miles helped place the beans in a colander and ready them for boiling. Once the beans were boiling I wrestled a diaper and pjs onto Miles and nursed him down for a nap.

After the beans boiled for a half hour the waxy coating of the bean got loose and white. I plunged them into an icy water bath and quickly learned the best way to peal the covers off. I made a little hole on one end with a fingernail and squeezed. The beans slid out into the bowl. Then they were ready for eating or cooking.

I didn’t realize favas were so labor intensive when I bought them. Well, labor intensive to prepare to eat- super easy to grow. I bought the bean seeds for a winter crop. Since favas are so simple to grow, I figured they would have a chance in our garden. It was fun to watch the stalks grow, much taller than expected. I decided to let them grow in an organic way, instead of pinning them up, and they did fine. I could see doing these again next year and reading Miles the Jack and the Beanstalk story. I can’t wait for him to wake up so we can eat them! I was going to do a fancy bean puree, but since we only got a cup or so, I think I’ll sauté them with a little butter and salt. From our Earth to the table. Yum.

No comments: